
WARNING: the following post is for mature audiences only and contains graphic content. Reader discretion is advised.
Big news today. Esmé has successfully used the potty for its intended purpose. In other words, not as a hat, a place to hide her toys or as a means for climbing on things. Lately she's shown a lot more interest in actually sitting on her potty. The new ritual has been to sit on it after her evening bath while brushing her teeth/chewing her toothbrush. The toothbrush is how we bribe her to stay on the seat. Otherwise she hops right off with an "all done" before anything could possibly happen.
And to date, nothing has happened. However yesterday morning she started talking about "poo-poo on the potty." I sort of shrugged it off since, well, with a 20-month old you get a lot of that kind of potty talk. But then later she started in with "poop, poop," something she brings up when her diaper has become a hot mess. So assuming it was time for a change, I brought her upstairs. Before I could get her on the changing table, she made a beeline for the bathroom and started tugging at her clothes. It was then that it dawned on me. "You want to go poo-poo on the potty?" I asked. She responded with that "well, duh" look of hers. Quickly I popped her on the potty. Honored her request for verse after verse of "I've Been Working on the Railroad." All for about 20 minutes. Nothing happened. But it occurred to me that at the very least, toilet training has officially begun.
Then this morning came and again the potty talk. This time I didn't waste any time. I got her back in the saddle again. Found myself again belting, "Dinah won't you blow, Dinah won't you blow, Dinah won't you blow your h-o-r-n..." And wouldn't you know it, she peed. Right in the potty. I greeted this development with such glee that I think I might have frightened her a bit. And she was still rather stuck on the idea of "poo-poo in the potty." She's such an overachiever.
So proud!
But then she happily called Daddy to share the big news.
3 comments:
That's my girl!
Congratulations! This is a great blog post right the way; full of joy and humor all at once. Can't wait to hear more about Esme's "developments." :)
Congratulations Esme!
Post a Comment