Monday, November 3, 2008

The Itsy Bitsy Spider

Esme just loves "The Itsy Bitsy Spider." For months now those in her inner circle know that when she presses her two index fingers together and says "EEEEEEtsy," it's time to start singing. Once at a birthday party after the ceremonial singing of the birthday song, I looked over to see my daughter making THE sign. It was as if to say, that song was nice and all, but can we sing "Itsy Bitsy Spider" instead? Later that night I had to explain to her that people generally don't take requests at birthday parties. Her response? "Eeeetsy!"

So when the time came to choose a Halloween costume it was a no-brainer. The biggest challenge was to help her make the connection between her favorite song and the strange appendages we suspended from her back. Let's just say there was lots of singing and signing going on. The costume itself came together rather easily thanks to Grandma. And all in all, Esme tolerated it rather well. We attended the village's costume parade where Esme got to see many of her friends: a dinosaur, a puppy dog, an elephant and a nun.

I too dressed up in the spirit of the occasion with a make-shift "spider web" skirt.



It was a great day, and I think Esme really enjoyed herself.

No comments: